Tuesday, May 18, 2010

1982

I'd found a listing in the phone book for a Children's Bookshop at Beecroft, and was excited there was a whole bookshop devoted to children's books. I caught the train out there one day, on a search for Joan Aiken novels, but couldn't believe it when I saw they had two or three Arthur Ransome books - and in the same editions I knew, not some scrubby paperbacks. I greedily bought them and asked if they were expecting any more. The nice ladies said they would order them in for me - and they did, for the next three years. I made my last trip out there in 1985 for "Swallowdale".















I went to the Royal Easter Show for the last time this year, too, and greedily bought this poster. The Show was still at the Showgrounds, where I have been many times since and enjoyed myself much much more.


In May 1982 I read seven books, by E.E. 'Doc' Smith, Robert Heinlein, Clifford D. Simak and John Christopher - sci-fi and fantasy. I don't have a single memory left of any of them.

1 comment: