Thursday, June 03, 2010

Tintin au Congo

King Ottokar's Sceptre was the first Tintin I read. One of my little brothers, I think, got it out of the local library.  But they didn't have them all, so on my visits to the City library, catching the train into town every few Saturdays, I would keep an eye out for them too, as well as new Asterix books.

Hergé was still alive and writing them in those days, and once we'd got through the back catalogue, we had to wait for Tintin and the Picaros, his last one. The Broken Ear was an old one that was translated about the same time.

We had three more to go, I knew from the back of French-language editions. Le lotus bleu, Tintin en Amerique, and Tintin au Congo.

Tintin in America was the first, and it came to our place from the library. Years later, much lusted-after, The Blue Lotus came out, and I bought it, to add to this collection. It was actually very exciting, even though we were all teenagers by now.

I stopped collecting these before Tintin au Congo was translated into English.

No comments:

Post a Comment